South Ward

North Ward

West Ward



Two casual vacancies have become available at Ledbury Town Council. Anyone can stand as a Councillor if they are at least 18 years old, they are a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union.  In addition candidates must meet at least one of the following qualifications:

  • You are, and will continue to be, registered as a local government elector for the parish/community in which you wish to stand
  • You have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the parish/community during the whole 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election
  • Your main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of nomination and the day of election has been in the parish/community
  • You have lived in the parish/community or within 3 miles of it during the whole 12 months before the day of nomination and the day of election

In addition to the qualifications to stand for election there are also a few reasons that would disqualify someone seeking election and that is if you are employed by the Council, you are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order, you have been imprisoned for 3 months (including suspended sentence) and finally you have been found guilty of corrupt or illegal election practices.

So, subject to the above qualifications/disqualification anyone with an interest in their local community can seek election to their local Town/Parish Council.

If you are interested and would be comfortable in speaking at Council meetings that are open to the public and have the time to attend meetings and support the work of your local Town/Parish Council then why not put yourself forward.  You only need 2 local people to support your nomination.  It really is as simple as that.

If there are more candidates than vacancies, then an election will be held.  If there are less candidates than there are vacancies you would be elected unopposed.

You do not need to belong to a political party to become a councillor.

You will find guidance about becoming a councillor on the Electoral Commission website and the Clerk at Ledbury Town Council can provide you with the appropriate nomination paper.  Alternatively you can contact the Elections Office at Herefordshire Council on 01432 260107.